Boy, 4, turned into ball of flames as 89p Home Bargains bath foam caught fire

A four-year-old boy was left screaming in pain after cheap bath soap caught fire and burned him, his dad has claimed.

Tot Oscar Beddard was in the bath with Home Bargains' 'children's mouldable bath foam' when some of it touched a nearby lit candle and set alight.

Dad Jonathan told the Liverpool Echo the foam then caught fire and scolded Oscar, leaving him badly hurt and shrieking in pain.

The young lad even needed urgent hospital treatment for a week.

Jonathan, 31, told the Echo: "The foam has caught the candle and then basically engulfed Oscar in a ball of flames from body to head.

"I had just nipped out to the shop and was literally down the road when I got a call saying 'Oscar's bath has set on fire it's that foam'.

"We just had to keep dabbing him with cold water and towels while he was just sat there screaming in pain."

Oscar's mum was with him when the terrible accident took place, but that didn't reassure the little lad, who cried out in pain repeatedly.

  • Bloke spends eight years walking the entire circumference of the Earth with his dog

He was rushed for treatment at leading children's hospital Alder Hey, where he spent a week receiving treatment.

Jonathan explained: "It has affected him mentally, he's not had a bath since, and he's got more of a temper since it happened and stuff like that."

Luckily Oscar's burns healed more quickly than doctors first expected, meaning he won't need the skin graft first anticipated.

  • Man who fired gunshots out of hotel room window says he was 'aiming at aliens'

Jonathan claims he purchased the product from a Merseyside branch of Home Bargains.

The budget supermarket chain didn't comment on the Echo's story for ongoing legal reasons.

Jonathan and Oscar's mum Nicola, 43, are now in touch with law firm Fieldfisher.

Jonathan added there is a "little flammable sign" on the back of the product, though the family had no idea it could cause such serious burns.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Jonathan is now completing Manchester's 10K run to raise money for Ronald McDonald house, where families of Alder Hey patients can stay while their kids are in hospital – as was the case for Jonathan and Nicola.

The crowdfunder has already raised almost £1,000 in just two days.

Home Bargains was approached for comment, but the company said it was unable to respond due to ongoing legal reasons.

Source: Read Full Article