Boy dies after smashing into greenhouse during firework chaos like WW3

A teenage boy died after jumping over a fence and smashing through a greenhouse during firework chaos in Yorkshire last night (Saturday, November 5).

One resident described the scenes in Halifax as resembling "World War Three" as youths launched fireworks at police.

It was reported earlier that a 17-year-old boy died after he was found injured in a garden on Vickerman Street and taken to hospital.

It is now understood that he fatally cut himself after vaulting a fence and crashing into a greenhouse, according to YorkshireLive.

He died from his injuries in hospital.

West Yorkshire Police had been called to the street to deal with fireworks being launched in the area and the force has referred itself to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC).

The crowd is understood to have dispersed after riot police 'boxed them in'. But one resident said the chaos lasted for several hours and 'resembled World War Three.'

"Young lads were firing fireworks at police," the man told YorkshireLive.

He said officers were armed with "guards and batons" and "blocked everything off" in an attempt to bring the chaos under control.

The man, who only bought his house on the street two days ago, said "a lot of arrests were made". Asked how bad the scenes were on the street last night, he simply replied: "World War Three."

Another woman, who said she called an ambulance after realising the boy had injured himself, recalled the chaos beforehand. She said: "It was horrible. There were a lot of police; they were shooting [fireworks] at them [police]. It was horrendous."

The 33-year-old mum, who did not want to give her name, added: "Last year was bad, but not that bad. This year was out of this world."

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: "Police were contacted by the ambulance service shortly before 8:15pm yesterday evening (Saturday, November 5) following reports of an injured male in the garden of a property on Vickerman Street, Halifax.

"The 17-year-old male was taken to hospital where, sadly, he died of his injuries. A scene is currently on in the area as officers establish the full facts of what has happened.

"The matter has been reported to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) as police were called to the vicinity due to a report of fireworks being set off prior to the incident."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article