We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova reportedly said that China’s accession to the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) was contrived. China disputed the claims.
On Thursday, Ms Zakharova said Russia was willing to support any multilateral schemes that would contribute to ensuring global security and stability.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian argued that Russia and the US both “possess the largest nuclear arsenals” and therefore should have the responsibility for reducing them.
He also said that China will not engage in any “trilateral talks on strategic arms controls”.
Mr Lijian said: “New START remains an important nuclear treaty between Russia and the US and requires great attention.
“It is the foundation of strategic stability for the two countries, as well as the basis of global strategic stability.
“China has no intention of engaging in any trilateral talks on strategic arms control.”
He also pointed out the two countries should create conditions for other countries to join multilateral arms controls deals.
START came into effect in 2011 and limits both Russia and the US to no more than 700 deployed intercontinental ballistic missiles, submarine-launched ballistic missiles, and strategic bombers.
It also limits the countries to no more than 1,550 deployed warheads and 800 deployed and non-deployed launchers.
The Treaty will reportedly remain until 2021 unless a new document is signed to replace it.
It can also be extended for no more than five years if both parties mutually agree.
This week, China deployed an early warning aircraft and anti-submarine aircraft on the Yongshu Reef in the South China Sea following increased US military activities in the area.
North Korea chaos: Military exploits traders with $500 blackmail [REVEAL]
US vs China: Trump pulls Taiwan stunt in dangerous game of chicken [INSIGHT]
China under pressure as furious Australia demands COVID-19 inquiry [OPINION]
According to recent satellite imagery, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has deployed the two military warfare aircraft on a permanent base on the reef.
Previously satellite images revealed aircraft hangars near the airstrip oil the reef had been installed.
Last week, a standoff between China and Malaysia over the potential natural gas and oil reserves beneath the South China Sea appeared to end as both vessels moved away from each other.
Tensions between the US and China have increased due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and this week, Independence-class US Navy littoral combat ships were spotted patrolling the much-disputed South China Sea.
Last week, the US Air Force and Marines conducted training exercises with three submarines joining ships and aircraft in the nearby Philippine Sea.
The actions are thought to be a reaction to Chinese harassment of ships drilling for resources in nearby waters.
It comes as Russia has also revealed a terrifying warhead which will be out in late June.
The Khabarovsk, also known as Project 09582, is the second submarine to serve as a carrier of Russia’s underwater nuclear drones after the first floated out back in April.
According to Russian News Agency, TASS, the first special-purpose nuclear submarine, the Belgorod, is expected to enter service with the Russian Navy this September.
Both the Belgorod and the Khabarovsk are capable of carrying six Poseidon drones each.
World War 3 fears were ignited across the globe just days into 2020 with tensions almost spilling over between the US and Iran.
Concerns were first triggered around the globe following the death of Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani in a US airstrike in January.
Source: Read Full Article