* Australian bubble decision – PM says any outbreak could strand travellers
* Cost of lockdowns: What the data tells us
* A year of elimination: New study on why NZ got it right
* Claire Trevett: The shifting sands of the transtasman bubble
A managed isolation worker at Auckland’s Grand Millennium Hotel has tested positive for Covid-19.
The Ministry of Health released a statement regarding the new case at the border on Monday evening. The test was done as part of routine surveillance testing.
“The information available indicates the worker is asymptomatic. Further investigation is being undertaken this evening,” the Ministry of Health said.
“The managed isolation worker and their immediate household members are isolating at home in Auckland this evening.
“Additional tests and whole genome sequencing are currently being arranged.”
The Ministry of Health said further information would be provided as available.
The Ministry has not added any new locations of interest to its website overnight.
It has also not confirmed if the infected worker had received their first vaccination against Covid-19.
LISTEN LIVE TO NEWSTALK ZB
The Government is currently vaccinating all frontline border workers against the virus in the first round of a mass vaccination programme to protect New Zealand from the global pandemic.
The Herald has sought comment on the latest case from Covid Response Minister Chris Hipkins.
On the Unite Against Covid-19 Facebook page, a staffer said they did not know the person’s vaccination status.
In a reply to another Facebook user, a staffer also said the case would likely “be counted as an imported case because it was most likely caught through their work in MIQ”.
“Contact tracers are working with the case to determine whether there are any locations of interest. We will have more information tomorrow.”
Tuesday marks exactly one year since the nation was plunged into its first lockdown.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced at 1.30pm on March 23, 2020 that New Zealand would move to alert level 3 effective immediately, and to level four in 48 hours.
Last week the Herald reported that the Grand Millennium Hotel had been instructed by the Government to stop charging guests for penthouse suite upgrades.
It came after it was reported in December that the hotel had upgrade two families who were undergoing 14 days’ MIQ to the hotel’s top-floor apartment, with officials saying the cost associated with the stays was borne by the families and “payable to the hotel”.
After learning of the paid upgrades MIQ bosses told the hotel to cease the practice which was outside the hotel’s contract.
Source: Read Full Article