Four-week-old baby injured after ceiling partially collapses in Asda superstore

A baby was taken to hospital on Thursday, following a shocking incident at a branch of Asda in Greater Manchester.

The child, who witnesses say appeared to be around four weeks old, suffered minor injuries after part of the shop’s ceiling caved in and a panel fell onto landed on the trolley it was sitting in.

An Asda spokesperson told the Daily Star: "A small section of the ceiling in our Ashton-under-Lyne store collapsed yesterday evening.

"Following the incident, a family was taken to hospital as a precaution and we are pleased to hear they are all OK.

"The store reopened as normal this morning and we are continuing to work with the relevant authorities on this matter."

Customers were evacuated from the Asda superstore in Cavendish Street, Ashton-under-Lyne following the incident at around 4.45pm on Thursday, July 15.

Pictures taken inside the shop show damage to a section of the ceiling near the self-checkout tills with debris scattered across the floor.

A 34-year-old woman, who was shopping inside the store at the time of the incident, described the scenes as "heartbreaking".

She told the Manchester Evening News: "The aluminium panels landed on the baby in the seat on the trolley. The baby boy was around 4 weeks old.

"They have taken the baby to hospital. Asda staff put a cold compress on his head and was making up a bottle. I advised them not to feed him or to keep the compress on longer than 2 to 5 mins at a time.

"I was with my daughter. That woman's screams were heartbreaking."

Paul Bowers, who was also in the shop at the time that the ceiling collapsed, said: "I was walking round and I went down one of the aisles and heard this big bang.

"They were calling out to everyone to go to the checkout so I went over to see if anyone was hurt.

"Someone told me that a woman with a pram was right underneath it and managed to get away at the last second.

"I thought something was kicking off when I first heard it. Next thing there was loads of dust everywhere. They told everyone to stop shopping and leave the building."

There are not thought to have been any other injuries.

Source: Read Full Article