Gamer found dead still clutching Xbox controller after playing with friend

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A man was found dead at home hours after playing on his Xbox with a friend and was still clutching his Xbox controller, an inquest has heard.

Simon Lee Shanks, 43, was found unresponsive on the sofa at his home in the town of Loughor in Swansea, Wales on October 19 last year.

Simon and his friend had stayed up until around midnight to play on an Xbox before his friend went upstairs to bed, Wales Online reports.

The inquest, held at Swansea Guildhall on Wednesday, heard that the following morning Mr Shanks' friend had gone downstairs at around 11.40am and found him "still on the sofa, in a sitting position, still clutching the Xbox controller".

Paramedics and police were called to the property but he was pronounced dead at 12.15pm.

Ben Evans, a South Wales Police Constable, told the inquest: "Simon's friend said that he had not taken any drugs the night before to his knowledge. Simon normally slept on the sofa downstairs.

"Officers did not find any evidence of drug use. There were no signs of a disturbance or forced entry. While Simon's death was not suspicious it was unexplained."

Mr Shanks previously began "drinking heavily" and suffered with mental health issues after his relationship broke down.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

However, the inquest heard that he had gone "seven years without taking anything".

A post-mortem report found that Mr Shanks had a thickening of the heart while a toxicology report found "therapeutic levels" of prescribed medication as well as levels of methadone, cocaine, and morphine.

The inquest heard that Mr Shanks had also "used or been exposed to" cannabinoids.

Recording a drug-related death conclusion, Colin Phillips, acting senior coroner for Swansea and Neath Port Talbot said: "He died on October 19, 2020, at Glebe Road in Loughor as a consequence of an unintentional overdose."

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article