Gruesome footage shows soldier’s frenzied attack that left taxi driver in coma

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A horrifying video shows the aftermath of a soldier's attack on a Northallerton taxi driver that left him permanently brain-damaged and in a coma for months.

North Yorkshire Police has released bodycam footage showing drunken soldier Steffan Rhys Wilson howling and grappling with officers as one attempts to put him in handcuffs.

He says: "Who are you? Who are you?"

The officers identify themselves as police and Wilson mutters incoherently.

He had punched the female police officer and strangled the male officer when they intervened in the unprovoked attack that happened on December 1 last year, Chronicle Live reports.

When the female police officer goes to help the victim, who is lying in the middle of the A6055, between Leeming and Catterick Village, she finds him barely conscious and covered in blood.

As he was being put in the back of the police van, Wilson reportedly said to a Sergeant: "You took your time. I was going to kill him (the taxi driver) and I was going to kill you."

The taxi driver was later found to have suffered a critical brain injury and was in a coma for two months at James Cook University Hospital.

He has been left with debilitating health issues, which have caused financial problems for his family, and his children need additional support at school in order to cope.

  • Tributes pour in for 'funny' shot dead policeman Matt Ratana as funeral live streamed

Wilson, who has since been discharged for gross misconduct from his position as a Corporal with the Royal Engineers, was remanded in custody until his trial for attempted murder – postponed due to Covid-19.

On Monday, November 2, Leeds Crown Court accepted his guilty plea to the lesser charge of section 18 wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Wilson was sentenced to nine years and nine months in jail.

Detective Inspector Matt Wilkinson, of Northallerton CID, said: "During the time Wilson was being questioned at the police station, he has not given any credible explanation for his terrible actions, other than to say he was really drunk and that he didn’t mean any harm.

"He did state that he thought he was on a military exercise, but extensive police enquiries were conducted around Wilson’s military career and there was nothing to suggest that he had or was suffering from PTSD at the time of the incident.

"To this day, Wilson’s motive remains unknown."

The victim was discharged from hospital at the beginning of March and has ongoing issues with his vision, coordination and mood changes, and now carries a Brain Injury identity card.

DI Wilkinson said: "His wife has been heavily reliant on the Malayali community and their family – many of whom do not live locally – to assist with caring for him and to help with their children.

"However, due to the Covid-19 restrictions, this has left his wife having to provide the care alone.

"The family are struggling financially and their children have also needed additional support at school as a result of this attack.

"In view of this despairing situation, North Yorkshire Police is trying to facilitate some extra support through our partner agencies."

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article