Pub beer garden outdoor heater ‘explosion’ leaves three people in hospital

Three people have been injured after an explosion in a village pub beer garden.

Two women and a man, who were in their early 20s, were hospitalised with serious burns after a camping stove burst into flames at the historic King's Head pub in Great Cornard near Sudbury, Suffolk, at about 10pm last night.

One of the victims is believed to have been flown by air ambulance to a specialist burns unit. The conditions of all three victims is unclear.

The gas-fuelled burner is understood to have been taken to the 16th-century pub by customers without permission to be used as a heater.

A Suffolk Police spokesman said: "It is believed the fire was the result of an explosion involving a small camping stove."

Neighbours reported hearing screams as the stove exploded in a fireball at an outside table, the Mirror reports.

The pub tweeted: "We're closed today following an incident last night.

"We're working closely with the police and authorities.

"Our thoughts and prayers are will those injured."

  • Paramedic killed when 'object' struck windscreen was 'respected mentor who had retired'

IT consultant John Collings, 41, who lives next door to the pub, said: "I was watching a film when I heard a woman screaming loudly at around 10pm before hearing ambulances and police arrive.

"Before that, there was just the general pub noise of people enjoying themselves in the garden.

"I went out at about 11.30pm and saw blue lights were still flashing and spotlights had been set up by police.

"There were people hanging around and the police were telling them to move on. I also saw a helicopter with a searchlight."

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The manager of the pub said: “I don’t want to say much. We are obviously concerned for the people who were injured.

"But the stove that exploded was something that someone had brought in. We did not know anything about it."

Source: Read Full Article