Sarah Everard suspect Wayne Couzens ‘to get full salary if he pleads not guilty’

The Met Police officer accused of kidnapping and killing Sarah Everard will continue to receive his PC's salary while on trial.

PC Wayne Couzens, 48, was arrested at his home in Deal, Kent, on Tuesday, March 9, and charged with the 33-year-old’s kidnap and murder three days later.

Couzens joined the force in 2018 and worked as a diplomatic protection officer, providing security at events attended by Royal Family members.

He will receive his full wage of at least £33,000 per year until the verdict of any trial, The Sun reports.

Couzens was part of a unit responsible for guarding the Parliamentary estate and embassies in London.

His main job was uniformed patrol of diplomatic buildings, and Scotland Yard said he was not on duty at the time of Sarah's disappearance.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council said: “The policy would be the officer is on full pay until the point they are dismissed.”

A Police Federation spokeswoman added: “The situation for police is in some ways not different to any other employee who has been arrested and charged for offences.

“They would continue to be paid until the disciplinary process is invoked, the speed of which would be down to the employer.

“While instant dismissal without pay doesn’t exist within policing, a Fast Track Disciplinary process does exist along with the ability for pension forfeiture, which doesn’t exist outside of policing.”

The Daily Star has approached the council and federation for further comment.

Sarah, a marketing manager, had not been seen or heard from since she left her friend's house in Clapham, south London, at around 9pm on Wednesday, March 3.

On March 10, Met Police officers confirmed human remains had been found outside of Ashford, Kent.

They were formally identified as Sarah’s two days later.

On Saturday, March 13, Couzens was brought in person before Westminster Magistrates' Court.

He was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on March 16.

On Thursday, March 11, Couzens was taken to hospital with a head injury after he was reportedly found collapsed in his cell.

Scotland Yard said: "The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment to a head injury sustained while in custody.

"He has since been discharged and returned to custody. We are not prepared to discuss further."

Couzens was taken to hospital again the following day where he was “monitored by officers and received immediate first aid”, the force confirmed.

Source: Read Full Article