Toddler dies with serious injuries as man held on suspicion of murder

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A two-year-old girl has lost her life after she was found with serious injuries at a house in Dale Street, New Marske.

Police have arrested a 26-year-old man on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident and he is in police custody, TeesideLive reports.

The child, who has been named as Grace Thorpe, was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary on Tuesday November 10 for treatment, but sadly passed away two days later.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Peter Carr, said the loss of a child is “particularly devastating” and said “Grace’s family are understandably distraught.”

Detective Carr, of Cleveland Police, said: “Whilst the loss of any life is tragic, the loss of a child is particularly devastating and Grace’s family are understandably distraught. Our thoughts remain with Grace’s family and everyone affected by her loss.

“We’re working hard to establish the full circumstances leading up to her death and have a dedicated team of officers on the case. We know that Grace’s death will have a huge impact on the community.

"We have officers in the local area and anyone who would like to speak to someone can approach the team.

“We would also urge people to be mindful of what they post on social media, particularly in regards to speculation. This is in active legal case and we do have someone in police custody.

"Please bear in mind the impact any comments could have on the case, and on Grace’s family during this extremely difficult time.”

Tributes have flooded in for the little girl, with many expressing their sorrow on social media.

One said: "Woke up the worst news ever. Hugged my baby extra tight last night and will continue to every day."

A second wrote: "Rest in peace little girl – hold your babies tight, you never realise how precious the time is."

Let’s turn Facebook pink to remember a gorgeous little princess Grace, “rest in peace you gorgeous little girl,” a third added.

Emergency services were called to Dale Street at 9.47am on Tuesday, with an air ambulance, and two road ambulances responding to the incident.

Grace was taken to taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary but doctors were unable to save her.

Police vehicles, including Crime Scene Investigation units have remained at the scene, with a cordon at the rear of the property.

Grace’s family are being supported by specially trained officers.

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article