Yob choked and threatened to kill partner after she washed hands in wrong sink

A thug “terrorised” his ex-girlfriend over a three-year period and attacked her after she washed her hands in the wrong sink.

Matthew Coppell, 40, from Liverpool, would pull his victim’s hair, put his hands around her neck, pin her down by leaning on her chest and punched her in the face, Hull Crown Court heard.

He abused his partner physically and emotionally over a three-year period.

Coppell had known his partner for nine years and moved from Liverpool to Hull over six years ago to live with her, Hull Live reports.

Prosecuting, Phillip Evans told the court: “Usually on the back of arguments the defendant, she says, holds strong views.

“He has pulled her hair, grabbed her by the wrists, placed his hands around her neck and dragged her back into a room when she has tried to leave.

“The arguments of which she speaks went on for around a year and had been on a weekly basis, leaving her emotionally drained.

“She says the arguments went on for hours on end. She was punched in the face and the defendant leaned on her chest and collarbone.”

On November 2 last year, an argument between Coppell and the complainant erupted over her washing her hands in the bathroom sink.

Mr Evans added: “This led to her hair being pulled.

“She was holding a tin of beans at the time which she used to strike the defendant with.

“He became aggressive and attacked her in the dining room as she tried to make her way into the living room where she tried to call the police. He took her phone and removed the battery.

“The defendant then placed her onto the sofa and placed a blanket over her face, causing her to struggle to breathe, and leaving her with a bruise to her neck and collarbone.

  • Meghan Markle could take on 'new surname' after dramatic royal exit

“The defendant, for the first time, said he wanted to kill her.”

The couple had a further argument on November 10 when Coppell wanted dinner to be served, leading to a row over food bills.

Mr Evans said: “The defendant shouted at her and asked why she didn’t help him. He attacked her, again pinning her to the sofa whilst leaning on her chest.

In a victim impact statement, the complainant said she had become “tired and worn down” by the abuse she suffered.

She also admitted to having thoughts of taking her own life.

Judge John Thackray sentenced Coppell, who has now returned to Liverpool, to a nine-month prison term, suspended for two years.

  • Coronavirus: Brit 'nurse dies at hospital after taking overdose'

He said: “Your offending had a profound effect upon the complainant. You terrified your victim. You terrorised her.

“Your offending was over a significant period following or during what has been a nine-year relationship. Your offending is so serious only a custodial sentence can be justified. The question is whether or not that can be suspended.

“I have to consider carefully whether you can be managed within the community. I adopt the view that your risk can be managed and you can be rehabilitated in the community.”

Coppell was also ordered to complete 30 days of rehabilitation activity requirement and adhere to an electronically monitored curfew for six months.

He must also not set foot on the street of the complainant's address, or attempt to contact her either directly or indirectly for a year.

Source: Read Full Article