Dive right in! Like the weather, the Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is a scorcher
A murder probe has been launched after a promising teenage boxer was gunned down in a street.
Tributes have poured in for 18-year-old Cole Kershaw who was shot and killed on Wednesday night.
Police scrambled to the scene in Bury, Manchester, at 9.40pm following gunshots.
Cole later died in hospital, Manchester Evening News reports.
The talented young boxer has been described by friends as having a ‘cheeky smile’.
In a post on Thursday morning, Brick City Boxing Gym wrote: “Last night we lost one of our own, we are truly lost for words and we cannot comprehend why or how it has happened.
"You weren’t just King Cole Kershaw you were part of the BrickCity family, always in with a cheeky smile and always gave 1000% effort and you were a true inspiration to watch.
"Your Dad sat and watched every session and was unbelievably proud of you every time you trained.
"Part of our BrickCity family has gone but you will never be forgotten.
"Cole we know you will be boxing up in the stars so make sure you save a round for all of us.
"Sending all our love to your family at this awful time.
"RIP King Cole Kershaw you will be missed so so much
Cole's friend, Kyle Hill, added: "He was a top top kid, had massive potential to make it far in boxing.
"Always had a good laugh with him in school and the boxing gym, he truly was one of the good guys that you come across in life."
Tattooed Adolf Hitler fanatic jailed after racist sticker campaign across Derbyshire
Murder detectives remained at the scene today, Thursday, as streets around the murder were cordoned off by investigators.
Witnesses said more than 10 police cars were dispatched to the scene on Wednesday.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Ellison of of Manchester Police, said: “This incident has resulted in a young man very sadly losing his life.
"I would like to start by saying that our thoughts are with his loved ones at this heart-breaking time and specially trained officers are doing everything they can to support them through this.
“Although we are in the early stages of our investigation, officers are carrying out extensive enquiries and following a number of lines of enquiry. We are committed to identifying the person responsible for this murder and ensuring that they face justice.
“So far, we have established that a number of people were in the area at the time. We believe these people have vital information which will assist us and I urge them to pass that on to Greater Manchester Police or Crimestoppers, anonymously, immediately. I also encourage anyone else with information to contact us.
“Finally, I would like to offer some reassurance by saying that we do not currently believe that this was a random attack. However, extra officers will be patrolling the surrounding area in the days to come so anyone with concerns can speak to them directly.
Source: Read Full Article